[Samba] Re: Finding the GID of AD groups on samba

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Thu Aug 11 16:17:15 GMT 2005

Tim Holmes [tholmes at mcaschool.net] wrote:

> Can someone point me in the right direction.  Specifically, what I am
> looking for is a command that will allow me to generate a list of all
> the user groups on the system and their GID.  This will allow me to
> chgrp the folders as necessary.

getent groups

;-)))

Generally, "getent" is meant to dump the contents of every NSS
database that supports enumeration. Of course what you'd enumerate
depends on your privileges too. You will find all databases unix
machine uses in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

There are also utilities for working with individual databases.
For example "id" for "getent passwd", "groups" for "getent groups".

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski
perl -e '$_=q#: 13_2: 12/o{>: 8_4) (_4: 6/2^-2; 3;-2^\2: 5/7\_/\7: 12m m::#;