[Samba] Machine accounts removed from domain

Eckert, Doug Doug.Eckert at dowjones.com
Thu Aug 11 15:17:09 GMT 2005

Greetings.

I was wondering if anyone else was experienceing this problem.  If so, how to remedy it.

We're using SaMBa 2.2.7 (I know it's EOL, but it's the only one available from the IBM AIX Toolbox download site).  After some length of time (seems to be weeks or months), the machine account is gone from the domain.  It's not browseable, won't authenticate even by \\ip-address\.  We have to reset the machine account and re-run smbpasswd to get it back.  It's almost as if the domain controllers don't "hear" from the server it's assumed to be "gone" and removed from the domain.

Is this truly what's happening, and if so , is there a way to prevent it?  Does a later version provide a remedy?  Thanks!

--Doug

Doug Eckert
TES Server Engineering
609.520.4993