[Samba] Samba mount hangs after Firefox accessed file://

Bart Friederichs bart at friesoft.nl
Wed Aug 3 08:42:30 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have a very strange problem with samba: I mount a 'home' directory on
my laptop from the server (both Linux; laptop runs Slackware 10.1,
samba  3.0.14; server runs RHEL3, samba 3.0.7-1.3E). And during normal
operation the share runs fine, until I access a file from the address
field in Firefox (1.0.6) with the file:// protocol. This causes the
share to hang. When trying to access it, I get a input/output error and
dmesg shows:

smb_add_request: request [d3929e80, mid=50] timed out!

For every request.

I cannot unmount the share, not normally, not forced. Only after I
unmounted the share 'lazy', and remount it, I can get back on it again.

How can I fix this?

TIA
Bart Friederichs