[Samba] Programatically Modifying Users

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Wed Aug 3 10:07:47 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Nigel Rantor wrote:
> |
> | - Is there a set of documentation around for the API?
> | I can't seem to  find any on the samba site, the developer
> | docs talk about the underlying protocols and provide
> | starting points for that but I can't seem to find
> | API docs.
>
> Nope.  no api docs.  But what I would suggest is talking
> to Chris Nichols on the samba-technical mailing list about
> his libmsrpc work.  The better choice here in my opinion
> would be to use the SAMR rpc functions and talk to smbd
> directly.  you could also be doing us and the Samba
> community a great service to help this mature.

Righto, joined that list today...

So, I can't find anything on SAMR rpc on the samba site, is this a very
new bit of the project? Any good resources where I can find out more
about it or is just talking to the samba-tech list first the way to go?

> | - Is there an existing set of Java JNI wrappers for
> | this kind of  functionality (I know, I'm reaching now...)
>
> Nope.  But if you follow the line of thinking above, you
> might be able to use jCIFS.

I have seen jCIFS, although in it's current state it only (AFAICT)
supports the access of remote SMB shares. I haven't yet contacted the
devs to see what else is in the works though or what it would take to add.

> | - If I just want to access the SAM database functionality
> | which bits of  Samba will i need to link against (of
> | course, this will be easy to find out from trial-and-error)
>
> Our code is not currently easy to pull parts from.  but if you
> choose to follow the passdb API route, then look at the Makefile
> for linking pdbedit.

Aye, already have been looking at it. One of my other issues at the
moment is the GPL issues. Since the samba project has not been designed
to have bits of it used by other code I need to ensure that whatever I
do won't violate the GPL. The project I'm working on is not OSS at all,
let alone GPL.