[Samba] different browselists on multi homed server

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Wed Aug 3 16:02:07 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 02:34, Richard Zimmer wrote:
> Scenario:
> One Samba server with multiple network adapters each hooked to a
> different network.
>
> Question:
> How can I configure Samba (nmdb) to show different shares when browsing
> the Samba server from clients connected to the different networks?

Your subject says that you want different browse lists. That is NOT possible.
A browse list is the list of machines that are known to your network.

In your question you have asked for a different list of shares on the Samba
server. So which is it? Browse list or share list?

The browse list can not be different, the shares lists can be. Follow chapter
33 of the Samba3-HOWTO.pdf for insight into how you might achieve your goals.

Hint:
Use the "netbios aliases" option, for each alias create it's own smb.conf
include file. Use one alias for each network. It can be restricted to its own
network address by using the "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" facility. Each
included smb.conf can have its own share definitions.

> Background:
> The nmdb is always running in a single instance, doesn't matter how
> often it is started.

Correct. And that is the way it was designed to be too.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra