[Samba] Re: missing directory entries on irix

Cale Fairchild cale at brocku.ca
Tue Apr 19 15:08:12 GMT 2005

Thanks for the patch, unfortunately when I installed it I had a lot more
files missing from the directory listing and I have not taken much time to
look at why. But it certainly is the cast that off_t on the IRIX box is 8 bytes
in the current OS, however the compilers seem to convert the long values
properly so long as overflow does not occur.

Thanks to your suggestion on looking at the 'xfs_growfs -n' output I think that
I have finally tracked down the problem with the missing file. In IRIX systems
that have version 1 naming the last entry in that directory listing has a
dirent->d_off value of -1 if you treat it as a long. On systems with version 2
naming the value is not set to -1. In samba 3.0.11 there was no apparent test
of the dirent->d_off field, but in 3.0.12 it performs a telldir after reading
the last name and returns NULL if the offset it -1.

My understanding is that if you preform a telldir after the readdir, as is
found in ReadDirName() in dir.c for 3.0.12+ you are just getting the offset for
the next entry. So after the last entry in the directory you will be getting
the offset of a non-existent entry, in which case the next readdir would return
NULL anyways. Is it necessary to test the offset inside the loop after the
readdir or would it be sufficient to test it before the SeekDir on the next
iteration.

Unfortunately you can not convert between version 1 naming and version 2
naming on the XFS filesystem without a full dump and restore. So I am
wondering is someone can come up with a workaround for this.

Thanks for your time in this concern.

   Cale Fairchild
   Systems Administrator
   Computer Science