[Samba] Can't Install Samba 3.0.14a

MJBarber at Hearst.com MJBarber at Hearst.com
Tue Apr 19 14:01:00 GMT 2005

Guys .... the easiest method I have used it rpm -Fvh *.rpm

This will only upgrade the packages you already have.... rather than
either forcing the trash of the rpm database or doing a lot of typing...

Good luck,
MJ Barber

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces+mjbarber=hearst.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+mjbarber=hearst.com at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:42 AM
To: a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Can't Install Samba 3.0.14a

>The Samba packages on Fedora 3 should be installed like this:
>
>rpm -Uhv --nodeps
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/samba-common-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm
>rpm -Uhv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/samba-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm
>rpm -Uhv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/samba-client-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm

GAAAAHH!!!! NO!!!

nodeps is bad.  Why don't you just try installing everything with the
--force flag, since that's what you're doing basically, throwing the
integrity of the rpm database right out the window.

Put all the packages on one rpm line and you'll be fine.  That allows
rpm to figure out for itself that you've got your ducks in a row and
trust that if it does just what you said everything will be all right.

Turning rant off for a second, there is one place where a --nodeps or
even a --force is useful.  When you do a yum upgrade you need to push a
couple packages (like rpm itself) in really hard to get it to kick off
right, but that's a pretty specific situation where you're upgrading
pretty much everything on the system anyway.  On a regular package and a
functioning system, --nodeps is a no-no, especially if you don't know
why you want to use it in the first place.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.