[Samba] Samba Install/SWAT Access

Deryck Hodge deryck at samba.org
Sun Apr 17 21:29:10 GMT 2005

Eric Hines wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I got the version from samba.org as a tar.gz
> file, which turned out to be source code.  I did install from source.
> Where can I get an rpm package for this version?  Alternatively (for my
> longer term benefit), how do I a) get FC3 to look at/use the upgrade
> version in the samba team's directory structure, or b) install the
> upgrade version into FC3's directory structure?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric Hines

Eric,

You can specify a different directory structure when using configure.  Run
"./configure --help" to see the options.
Running "./configure --help | grep dir" produced the following:

     --srcdir=DIR        find the sources in DIR [configure dir or `..']
Installation directories:
Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data [PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]
  --with-privatedir=DIR   Where to put smbpasswd ($ac_default_prefix/private)
  --with-lockdir=DIR      Where to put lock files
($ac_default_prefix/var/locks)
  --with-piddir=DIR       Where to put pid files ($ac_default_prefix/var/locks)
  --with-swatdir=DIR      Where to put SWAT files ($ac_default_prefix/swat)
  --with-configdir=DIR    Where to put configuration files ($libdir)
  --with-libdir=DIR       Where to put libdir ($libdir)
  --with-mandir=DIR       Where to put man pages ($mandir)
  --with-krb5=base-dir    Locate Kerberos 5 support (default=/usr)
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>

So you'll have to know which directories to use, but you could then specify
them with something like:

./configure  --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
    --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
    --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba \
    (and on and on until you cover each directory in the
     original installation.)

To use the new installation in the default location, make sure you've
stopped the original binaries.  Run "ps -ef | grep mbd" to confirm nothing
is running.  Then cd to the sbin directory of the new installation and
start the new binaries (a la ./smbd -D).  If you're want to start the new
Samba server with SWAT, make sure the inetd/xinetd entry for SWAT is
pointing to the correct SWAT binary.

Hope that helps.  Cheers,

deryck
- --
Deryck Hodge                            http://www.devurandom.org/
Auburn University Libraries             http://www.lib.auburn.edu/
Samba Team                              http://www.samba.org/

Yes, words are useless. Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble!
Too much of it, darling. Too much!  --Edna Mode