[Samba] Copy Passwords from Active Directory to Samba

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu Apr 14 23:14:53 GMT 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 16:42, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm migrating from Windows 2003 Active Directory to a Samba 3 PDC and
> would like to avoid recreating passwords for all of my users.  Is it
> possible to copy the Windows user accounts or just the passwords from
> the Windows box to Samba?
>
> I've read about the pwdump.exe tool, but can't find any reports of it
> working on Windows 2003 and am not sure if Active Directory stores
> passwords in the same manner as NT.  Can anyone confirm this?
>
> I'm using a tdbsam password backend.  Even if I can extract the
> passwords from Windows, how can I add the pre-hashed password to the
> tbsam database?

Have you tried the 'net rpc vampire' approach? I have not and do not know if
it works. My question is shot from the hip.

The other possiblility is to do an LDAP dump of the ADS directory, then rework
the data into a valid OpenLDAP LDIF file. That is a method that does work, at
least for getting the directory contents.

- John T.