[Samba] Copy Passwords from Active Directory to Samba

Charles McLaughlin cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 14 22:42:32 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm migrating from Windows 2003 Active Directory to a Samba 3 PDC and
would like to avoid recreating passwords for all of my users.  Is it
possible to copy the Windows user accounts or just the passwords from
the Windows box to Samba?

I've read about the pwdump.exe tool, but can't find any reports of it
working on Windows 2003 and am not sure if Active Directory stores
passwords in the same manner as NT.  Can anyone confirm this?

I'm using a tdbsam password backend.  Even if I can extract the
passwords from Windows, how can I add the pre-hashed password to the
tbsam database?

Thanks in advance.

Charles