[Samba] Re: No domain server was available to validate your password. [Solved]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 10 06:42:52 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 23:00 +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> lør, 09.04.2005 kl. 20.44 skrev Jonathan Ryshpan:
> > This was the problem.  Thank you very much for your help.
> >
> > I am afraid the documentation for this option and it's handling in swat
> > isn't what it should be.  The implication in the documentation is that
> > "Domain Logon" should be "NO" except for unusual cases.  In swat, it's
> > only visible when the view is "Advanced".  Judging by my experience, it
> > looks like it should always be on in very simple networks like mine.
>
> Do not use SWAT unless you thoroughly understand it and how it can ruin
> your system.

This sounds frightening.  Do you mean that SWAT can ruin my whole system
configuration, and not just smb.conf?

> Do not attempt to configure Samba until you have read the official Samba
> HOWTO docs. All of them, all variants.

Ouch -- I think you're being a little severe.  The PDF documents
in /usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.10 alone amount to 1204 pages.  This seems a
lot to read for someone who only needs to make a Linux printer available
to the Windows machine which he has to use to do his taxes.

> Anything you do wrong is your fault until you've read *all* of the docs
> and adhere to them. If they don't work, you need to post what doesn't
> work.

I hope I didn't imply otherwise.  Have you read my original posting,
which included smb.conf file, ethereal trace, error messages, etc?
Documentation can **always** be improved.

> With the exception of the idealx stuff, which is shit anyway, if you're
> an OpenLDAP person from before, like me..
>
> No smiley, no recourse. Samba 3.0.1 and the Samba team get my vote for
> top software of 2005 (previous were Sam Varshavchik's Courier IMAP and
> Wietse Venema's Postfix, not to speak of OpenLDAP, which is always top),
> but as with the former, Samba requires that you at least read the doco.
> If you do so, (with the exception of the idealx stuff, which is shit
> anyway, if you're an OpenLDAP person from before, like me) everything
> works as documented. It's bloody genius.

I'm sure the authors of all these programs will thank you for your
praise.  I personally think that Samba is a very impressive piece of
work.

--
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
Berkeley Linux Team