[Samba] Re: No domain server was available to validate your password. [Solved]

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sat Apr 9 21:00:35 GMT 2005

lør, 09.04.2005 kl. 20.44 skrev Jonathan Ryshpan:

[...]

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:24 -0400 alton bailey wrote:
> > in your smb.conf ther is an option  domain logon should be enable in
> > order to validate user authentication.
>
> This was the problem.  Thank you very much for your help.
>
> I am afraid the documentation for this option and it's handling in swat
> isn't what it should be.  The implication in the documentation is that
> "Domain Logon" should be "NO" except for unusual cases.  In swat, it's
> only visible when the view is "Advanced".  Judging by my experience, it
> looks like it should always be on in very simple networks like mine.

Do not use SWAT unless you thoroughly understand it and how it can ruin
your system.

Do not attempt to configure Samba until you have read the official Samba
HOWTO docs. All of them, all variants.

Anything you do wrong is your fault until you've read *all* of the docs
and adhere to them. If they don't work, you need to post what doesn't
work.

With the exception of the idealx stuff, which is shit anyway, if you're
an OpenLDAP person from before, like me..

No smiley, no recourse. Samba 3.0.1 and the Samba team get my vote for
top software of 2005 (previous were Sam Varshavchik's Courier IMAP and
Wietse Venema's Postfix, not to speak of OpenLDAP, which is always top),
but as with the former, Samba requires that you at least read the doco.
If you do so, (with the exception of the idealx stuff, which is shit
anyway, if you're an OpenLDAP person from before, like me) everything
works as documented. It's bloody genius.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...