[Samba] macintosh file clutter on samba filesystems.

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Mon Apr 4 07:12:41 GMT 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 15:50, Matt Pruett wrote:
> I have a client who has a bunch of macs accessing some samba shares, and
> they write these  ._filename and .DS_STORE  files all over the place, he
> would perfer it to not write these files at all. Anyone ran into this
> issue? what would be the best way to prevent these files from getting
> written onto the shares?  veto?
>
> --
> Matt Pruett <entelin at logicaldreams.net>

You can use the "hide files" directive, but windows clients can override it
with a "show hidden files" option in the tools menu of a directory window.
If most users have the default view options, this is an excellent way to hide
the files.

"veto files" works too.   If the macintosh clients are accessing the share via
netatalk or some other appletalk-on-unix service, then the veto files
directive will not affect them at all.  And likely, if they are using MacOSX
windows networking, it won't prevent them from accessing the share, but they
may be annoyed about how it looks.

Here's what I have:

veto files = /Network Trash Folder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Desktop
Folder/TheFindByContentFolder/Temporary Items/.DS_Store/