[Samba] Win2003 ADS member server - almost working, ideas?

BSD Samba bsdsmb at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 19:58:03 GMT 2004

I am attempting to install a Samba-3.0.0,1 on FreeBSD
5.2.1-RELEASE server to an existing Windows 2003
Server Active Directory Domain.

I've followed Chapter 6 of the HOWTO man to get as far
as I have.

#kinit gooduser   --successfully gets a kerberos
ticket
#wbinfo --authenticate=gooduser%goodpassword  --
successfully authenticates all user accounts (that
I've tested)

#wbinfo -u yields "Error geting Domain Users"
#wbinfo -g yields "Error geting Domain Groups"

and any user accounts I newly create in AD since
joining the Samba3 server as a Domain member are
successfully able to authenticate and access the
Samba3 server.

However, pre-existing AD users are not able to access
the Samba3 server.  These accounts get an error
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.

I noted some mention in various places of a quirk
requiring the changing of domain passwords to allow
something to work - which I've tried to no avail.

New AD accounts work fine, pre-existing accounts
don't.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix this quirk
would be greatly appreciated.