[Samba] Switch profile from local to roaming?

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Sep 29 17:50:55 GMT 2004

I've got a WinXP machine that was configured for local profiles.  I have now
joined that machine to the domain, but when I try to log in as a user, it
tries to use a roaming profile.  Fine, that's what I want anyway.  But it
doesn't do the smart thing and copy the user's local profile to roaming -- it
gives an error instead.  OK, no problem, I will change the type.  I log in as
local admin and go to her profile.  It only gives me Local as an option.
Maybe it's because I'm not logged into the domain.  OK, I log into the domain
as Administrator (alias root -- uid of 0).  It doesn't even let me SEE her
profile then.  Because it is local, I assume.  So ok, I add
MYDOMAIN\Administrator as a local administrator on her machine.  It lets me
see her profile now but I still can't change it to roaming.  And every time I
try to copy it into either Administrator's directory on the server, or hers,
it gives me Permission Denied.

So what is the real way to get this accomplished?

Thanks,
Misty