[Samba] hostname and smbstatus

Phil Bardanes linuxid at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 17:46:03 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm having problems with seeing the hostname of a Linux box
correctly under Samba with smbstatus.

Background:
I'm running Debian sarge with Samba 3.0.5 on a server that I built. It
sits on our local network behind a Smoothwall firewall, which functions
as a virtual nameserver using our ISP's DNS servers for resolution.

I've been able to set up our Windows machines without too much problem
with the Debian Samba server as a PDC. I'm now trying to connect a Mepis
(Debian sid) box to the server using Samba.

Problem:
When I login to a Mepis user session, the share is mounted in a user
directory (set up with smb4k). However, smbstatus shows only the IP
address of the machine, not the hostname. The Windows machine hostnames
show up correctly. Here's smbstatus with forced user/group
"yarg"/"domadm", Windows XP box "thais", and the Linux box:

Samba version 3.0.5-Debian
PID     Username      Group         Machine
 3096   yarg          domadm        192.168.1.8  (192.168.1.8)
 2816   yarg          domadm        thais   (192.168.1.10)

I've changed /etc/hosts on the client, server, and firewall/nameserver
machine to include the IP-name; nsswitch.conf maps host to DNS. smb.conf
has "name resolve order" parameter set to "host wins lmhosts bcast". I'm
not specifying a WINS server, but have configured "wins support" to yes.

I also have Mandrake 10 and SuSE 9.1 triple-booting with the Mepis
partitions and while they also connect as Samba clients, I have the same
result -only the IP shows up.

Any ideas? Thanks.