[Samba] mdk 7.2 init.d script Mystery....

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Sep 25 02:19:37 GMT 2004

James,

    I have sent this to you directly and cc:ed the list for reasons that
should become apparent below.

THE SITUATION

    OS: mdk 7.2, 2.2.19 kernel - basically bone stock

    Latest addtions: samba 3.0.7-1 compiled from source (working fine);
cups-1.1.18-1 from mdk rpm

    Reasons for additions: XP SP2 fun and games

THE MYSTERY

    As any normal person does, I use /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb to start and stop
and restart the smbd and nmbd daemons. For a day and a half (post upgrade)
execution of the init.d script resulted in the comforting [OK] or [Failed]
feedback to let you know the script did its job. At 17:45 CDT today -- that
all changed?

    Now, for some reason unexplained to me, when I execute the ../init.d/smb
script  NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL?? No feedback whatsoever. The script has no
effect at all. Case in point:

[root at Nemesis /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop    (....notice no [OK] or
[Failed] response.....)
[root at Nemesis /root]# smbclient -U% -L localhost
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        guillory        Disk      David Guillory
        Bertin          Disk      Darren Bertin
        Rankin          Disk      Rankin Law Firm PLLC
        config          Disk      Admin Config Share
        Applications    Disk      Windows Applications
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (RB_LAW Samba Server 3.0.7)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (RB_LAW Samba Server 3.0.7)
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        BACKUP               This is the backup computer
        DARREN               Darren's Dell
        NEMESIS              RB_LAW Samba Server 3.0.7
        RANKIN-XP
        SECRETARY            PIII 866 20G

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        RB_LAW               NEMESIS
[root at Nemesis /root]# ps ax | grep mbd
 1233 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D
 1234 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D
 1236 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D

SMBD and NMBD should be dead dead dead.........

The only way to get samba going is to manually start the daemons via
#smbd -D and #nmbd -D. Puzzling because:

[root at Nemesis /root]# ls -al /etc/rc.d/init.d/s*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1550 Jan 17  2001
/etc/rc.d/init.d/single*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1523 May 10  2001
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          749 Jan 17  2001
/etc/rc.d/init.d/snmpd*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2772 Jan 17  2001
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sound*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2306 Oct  3  2000
/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2647 Jun 24  2002
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd*
-rwx------    1 root     root         1296 Jan 17  2001
/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog*

the script is still is there and presumably doing its job.

Bottom line -- HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF AN INIT SCRIPT DYING?? Or, did I do
someting stupid like stick a process or PID somewhere?? I haven't a clue (If
I'm called on that statement, I'll deny it) I was so desperate
(embarrisingly - like with Windows) I rebooted and killed 317 days uptime to
make sure nothing was lingering around. No Joy

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin * Bertin, PLLC