[Samba] Unable to see shares on Samba server from Windows XP home machine

David Rivera riv at comcast.net
Sat Sep 25 01:12:14 GMT 2004

I am trying to set up a samba server with a Window XP Home client. I'm
able to access the share from the Linux server, and can 'see' the samba
server in the Windows client, but when I attempt to access the server
from the XP client, I get a message that says:

\\server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
resource.
Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions.

No service is operating at the endpoint on the remote system

My share name is /samba and permsions are 777.

This command works fine from the server side:
smbclient -L servername -N

This is my (simple) smb.conf file:

[global]
    workgroup =  workgroupname
    netbios name = servername
    password server = None
    guest ok = yes
    guest account = dave
    security = SHARE

[samba]
    path = /samba
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes

I would think that what I'm trying to do would be pretty simple. Has
anyone else run into this?