[Samba] invisible server

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri Sep 24 07:44:10 GMT 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 18:18 your cat walking on the keyboard wrote:

> May be due to no guest account.  From Samba 3 by Example:
>
> Network browsing involves SMB broadcast announcements, SMB enumeration
> requests, connections to the IPC$ share, share enumerations, and SMB
> connection setup processes. The use of anonymous connections to a Samba
> server involve the use of the /guest account/ that must map to a valid
> UNIX UID.

I've added a guest user with smpasswd -a guest, and then I have inserted a
line in the global section of smb.conf:
guest account = guest
but it is still not working:

mammuth:~ # nmblookup mammuth
querying mammuth on 192.168.1.255
name_query failed to find name mammuth

Another thing that maybe can help:

mammuth:~ # nmblookup -A 192.168.1.9
Looking up status of 192.168.1.9
        "MAMMUTH"       <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
        "MAMMUTH"       <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
        "MAMMUTH"       <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
        ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        G2              <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        G2              <1b> -         B <ACTIVE>
        G2              <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
        G2              <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

that seems it's working, isn't it?
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Luca