[Samba] Re: Samba public directory on FreeBSD

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Thu Sep 23 23:41:19 GMT 2004

At 14:26 9/23/2004, knowtree at aloha.com, wrote:

>> >I recommend a separate partition, so that when it eventually gets filled up
>> >-- and these things always do -- your system will not be adversly affected.
>> >You can mount the partition wherever you want. In your three examples,
>> >"sambapublic" could be a file system mounted on /usr/local/share,
>> >/usr/share, or /home.
>>
>> Thanks for the info.  I just wanted to stick with the FreeBSD
>> standard if there was one.
>>
>> How can I add a new partition?  Can that be done after the OS
>> and data are on the drive?  What program?  What would it be
>> called?
>
>Not practical unless you install an additional hard drive. Sticking with
>the drive you have, you would need to backup your data and reinstall
>FreeBSD from scratch. The extra partition would be created using the
>Disklable Editor, a sibling to / and /usr and /var and /home.
>
>That may be more work than you want to do right now.

Yes, now that I've got the OS and programs loaded.

>In that case, if you
>want to try it out, use either the home partition or the var partition. We
>could probably spark a lively debate here as to which is better :-)
>
>Bottom line: go ahead and set up samba, to learn how it works. If you want
>to use it in production (serious, bullit-proof) create that special partition.
>
>Gary Dunn
>Honolulu

Thanks for the info.

I looked into this a little closer.  In 'FreeBSD Unleashed', on page
38 it says: "/home  This is where the users' home directories are
located.  It is often located under the /usr partition.  If you are
going to have a lot of users, and you expect them to have a lot of
files, you might want to put /home on its own partition, or possibly
even give /home an entire disk."

In 'The Complete FreeBSD' (4th edition), on page 70: "Use the rest
of the space on disk for a /home file system, as long as it's
possible to back it up on a single tape.  Otherwise, make multiple file
systems.  /home is the normal directory for user files."

In the online handbook,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html,
Table 2-2: "/usr   Rest of disk   All your other files will typically be stored in /usr and its subdirectories."

Alrighty, then.  I am confused.  On the 3 boxes that I just installed
FreeBSD 4.9 on, none of them even have a /home or a /usr/home directory.
So, there certainly isn't a /home partition.  Is /home created as its
own slice in 5.x?

These boxes have 80 GB hard drives and have the majority of that
capacity contained in /usr.

Based on all this advice and research, I think I will create a new
directory under /usr called /home.  Under this, I'll create
/samba/public  (full path: /usr/home/samba/public).

Any objections, or comments?

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/