[Samba] Corrupted userid in mail folders

Christoph Scheeder christoph.scheeder at scheeder.de
Tue Sep 21 13:34:20 GMT 2004

Roland Giesler schrieb:
> I have a Mandrake 10.0 Official server running Samba3, Shorewall, Squid 2.5,
> Postfix and Courier-IMAP.
>
> Samba uses winbind to authenticate mail and proxy users against a windows
> 2000 ADS server.
>
> I get corruption happening in the user's home directories and elsewhere.
> The directory ownership changes all the time.  One moment a dir belongs to
> roland:Domain Users and the next moment it's marjou:elahyl.  The group and
> userid change, causing absolute havoc with mail delivery as wrong mail lands
> in people's mailboxes and users cannot be authenticated.
>
> My senior support technician is on honeymoon so I'm stuck.
>
> Restarting services makes no difference.
>
> If I run "getent passwd username" the results are 100% correct. Also for
> "getend group groupname".
>
> Has anynone expereinced this or know of a fix.
>
> I'm somewhat clueless on some aspects, like I cannot check the version of
> Samba, since the doesn't appear to be a command switch for this.
>
> thanks
>
> Roland

hi,
i had a similiar efect when i accidently placed the samba-tdb files in a
folder which got clean up each and every time by an automatic script.
as winbindd does the mapping from AD-users/groups to local
userids/groupids not algorithmical a user gets a new id each time the
mapping db-gets deleted.
For you, this results in a change of the owner/group of the files.
Christoph