[Samba] Corrupted userid in mail folders

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Tue Sep 21 12:47:56 GMT 2004

I have a Mandrake 10.0 Official server running Samba3, Shorewall, Squid 2.5,
Postfix and Courier-IMAP.

Samba uses winbind to authenticate mail and proxy users against a windows
2000 ADS server.

I get corruption happening in the user's home directories and elsewhere.
The directory ownership changes all the time.  One moment a dir belongs to
roland:Domain Users and the next moment it's marjou:elahyl.  The group and
userid change, causing absolute havoc with mail delivery as wrong mail lands
in people's mailboxes and users cannot be authenticated.

My senior support technician is on honeymoon so I'm stuck.

Restarting services makes no difference.

If I run "getent passwd username" the results are 100% correct. Also for
"getend group groupname".

Has anynone expereinced this or know of a fix.

I'm somewhat clueless on some aspects, like I cannot check the version of
Samba, since the doesn't appear to be a command switch for this.

thanks

Roland