[Samba] Corrupted userid in mail folders

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Tue Sep 21 16:59:50 GMT 2004

Christoph Sheeder wrote:

> hi,
> i had a similiar efect when i accidently placed the samba-tdb
> files in a
> folder which got clean up each and every time by an automatic
> script. as winbindd does the mapping from AD-users/groups to local
> userids/groupids not algorithmical a user gets a new id each
> time the mapping db-gets deleted. For you, this results in a
> change of the owner/group of the files. Christoph

I've checked out the file /var/cache/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb and it does
indeed contain the mappings of the windows UIDs to Linux userids.  However
that file had not been deleted ever as far as I know.

Is it possible that a slow or congested network link or a bad network line
could cause this behaviour?  I have an old hub (10mb/s half-duplex..  Eek!)
in the network, and since the internet link is only 64k, we link through
that to our firewall machine.  I'm thinking, if 30 or 40 people check their
mail that line could cause a lot of collisions and errors.  The question is:
If winbind cannot authenticate/verify a user, will it give a wrong userid?
Surely there is some error checking in the system, not allowing garbage to
be accepted?  Even if garbage was picked up, it wouldn't match other userids
perfectly, would it??

I'm going to plug in a 100meg desktop switch into that section and see what
happens...

Roland