[Samba] Disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Sep 20 15:35:54 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 05:19, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Tihomir Karlovic wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | i'm trying to configure XP clients to communicate with
> | Samba3 PDC without NETBIOS. I've disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP
> | on XP clients and on Samba3 server. I also created neccessary
> | DNS records as described in Samba-HOWTO-Collection but yet
> | without success.
> |
> | I've created DNS SRV entry
> | _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.domainame.com as described
> | in Samba-HOWTO but this is what happends:
> |
> | 1.  XP client sends DNS query for entry
> | _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com and
> | not for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com (note the
> | difference .dc instead of .pdc) and fails because of
> | missing DNS entry
> |
> | 2.  I added SRV entry for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com,
> | now XP finds the Samba domain controller but tries to
> | contact LDAP server on it using UDP protocol and fails again.
> |
> | Obviously, XP expects domain controller name returned by SRV
> | .dc entry to belong to AD Domain controller and not NT4 style
> | one and it never even tries to query for .pdc record.
> |
> | Did anybody get this to work?
>
> Is this actually in our docs ?  If so, we need to fix that.
> I'm pretty sure that won't work.

Use of raw SMB over TCP/IP (No NetBIOS layer) can be done only with Active
Directory domains. Samba is not an Active Directory Domain Controller: ergo,
you can not run Samba as a domain controller and at the same time NOT use
NetBIOS. I am rectifying the documentation so as to remove all doubt.

Also, WINS and NetBIOS node-type are features of running NetBIOS - the
documentation was just plain crazy - it was wrong and misleading and is being
fixed.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra