[Samba] Disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Sep 20 13:08:36 GMT 2004

> | I've created DNS SRV entry
> | _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.domainame.com as described
> | in Samba-HOWTO but this is what happends:
> |
> | 1.  XP client sends DNS query for entry
> | _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com and
> | not for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com (note the
> | difference .dc instead of .pdc) and fails because of
> | missing DNS entry
> |
> | 2.  I added SRV entry for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com,
> | now XP finds the Samba domain controller but tries to
> | contact LDAP server on it using UDP protocol and fails again.
> |
> | Obviously, XP expects domain controller name returned by SRV
> | .dc entry to belong to AD Domain controller and not NT4 style
> | one and it never even tries to query for .pdc record.
> |
> | Did anybody get this to work?
>
> Is this actually in our docs ?  If so, we need to fix that.
> I'm pretty sure that won't work.

I think he's probably seeing this:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#adsdnstech

regarding how to support AD in a BIND environment, connecting the dots
(and adding a couple) to think that Samba requires those entries.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.