[Samba] samba client warning for HELP password transmitted with no encryption

xavier.sinecosa xavier.sinecosa at laposte.net
Fri Sep 10 10:56:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am newbie in linux, and have security problems
with samba. I installed samba server on a box b1
(v2.2.7a), and samba client is not my last and
second box b2. They both run under linux (RH9
distribution). It seems to be installed correctly,
but I have 2 strange things:
1) I cannot locate why when I get a connection with
nautilus, the popup window tells me that password
will be transmitted with no encryption.
2) When I start samba in nautilus, the popup window
asking for a user/password re-opens twice after I
have filled it for the very 1st time.
Does somebody know why it reopens? Filling again
and clicking OK, or clicking Cancel has the same
effect: I can access.

Is this a bug, or a bad configuration? I have set a
smbpasswd file on samba server, and did the
procedure to migrate passwords from linux to samba.
Can I have some advices, please ?

Thanks, xavier.