[Samba] smbf errors

Alexej Davidov alexej.davidov at gmx.net
Fri Sep 10 11:00:58 GMT 2004

Hello,

I can't mount shares of some servers since I use kernel 2.6.x. As it works
with smbclient and also with smbmount on kernel 2.4.x, I assume the problem
lies within smbfs.

Kernel version: 2.6.8.1
Samba version: 3.0.4
Dist: Debian unstable

I get errors when I try to mount a share from OS/2 4.0:

1) smbmount
everything's fine

2) cd into the mounted dir
smbfs output:
  smb_setup_bcc: Packet too large 4257>4096
  smb_add_request: request [f7298e80, mid=0] timed out!

3) ls in the mounted dir
smbfs output:
  smb_receive_header: short packet: 0
  smb_add_request: request [f7353e80, mid=1] timed out!
Then ls says: ls: .: Input/output error

4) cd ..
smbfs output:
  smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet, code 39
  smb_add_request: request [f736be80, mid=2] timed out!

5) umount
everything's fine

Also, it's not possible to mount a share from a server running Samba 3.0.6 on
Suse with kernel 2.4.21. I get ``smb_add_request: request[xxxxxxx, mid=x]
timed out!'' all the time, and this time also already when when I try to
mount.

I can mount shares, however, from other systems, namely all Windows versions
and OS/2 3.0

If it is of any help, I could also supply samba logs and tcpdump dumps,
although I couldn't find any error messages in the samba logs.

Btw: I tried to enable SMBFS_DEBUG and SMBFS_DEBUG_VERBOSE in smbfs' Makefile,
but that didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance
Alexej