[Samba] Runaway processes on Solaris

Verlezza, Domenic dverlezz at tiaa-cref.org
Wed Sep 8 20:52:10 GMT 2004

Hi Jerry and crew,

Our solaris 2.8 machine running Samba 2.2.8a ran out of swap.  The Sun
engineer sent us the following which seemed to point to Samba.  Have you
seen something like this before?

Thanks,
Dom Verlezza
(704)988-3156

Joe requested that I provide an update on the analysis when it was

complete. The kernel engineer who analyzed the core file provided the

following:

release: 5.8 (64-bit)

version: Generic_108528-18

machine: sun4u

node name: srv500

domain: yp.tiaa.org

hw_provider: Sun_Microsystems

system type: SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise-10000

hostid: 80a70288

time of crash: Tue Sep 7 05:23:09 MDT 2004

age of system: 35 days 23 hours 8 minutes 56.51 seconds

panic cpu: 0 (ncpus: 3)

panic string: sync initiated

The system was *hung* and reports being out of swap.

WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 1424 (naviagent)

WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 2216 (naviagent)

WARNING: nfsauth: RPC: Unitdata error

WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 2526 (naviagent)

We see that this domain has only 3 cpus and about 8250 processes in the

process table. Of these

8250 processes 7375 of these are smbd, and look like:

smbd -D -s /opt/samba/etc/smb.conf

It appears these processes have overwhelmed the system and would also
explain the system running short on swap space. It appears these

proceses are related to Samba. The explorer output gathered a

ps output and it only shows 506 of these processes in the process table. So
it does appear that there are *considerably* more running in the corefile.

The issue stems from the total number of smbd processes running. It may be
helpful to request assistance from the Samba folks to

investigate why there would be so many samba processes running.

Thank you,

--

Alexis Lusher

Sun Microsystems

High Availability Systems

Hours: Mon-Thurs 9am-7pm MST

e-mail: alexisc at sun.com

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF