[Samba] Samba Password Problems (Alt-Characters)-SOLVED

Stuart Highlander fsb at ntwsdb.com
Fri Sep 10 13:49:03 GMT 2004

Good Morning All,

I figured out a solution this problem.

I dumped the results of testparm to a file (testparm -v > smb_dump-file-01.
dos charset = CP850, unix charset = UTF-8.  local display = LOCALE.
I set the unix charset variable in smb.conf to unix charset = iso8859-1,
restarted smb, and verified unix charset set to iso8859 using testparm -v >
smb_dump-file-02.
I verified that my locale was ISO-8859-1 using locale charmap.

I tried syncing up UTF-8 as suggested, but could not get it to work
correctly with the alt-characters.

I want to thank Andrew for pointing me in the right direction.

Stuart