[Samba] Best way to update old Mdk box w/2.09 to 3.06??

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed Sep 8 20:59:20 GMT 2004

Mates,

    I am at the point that I will have to update my trusty samba 2.0.9 to
3.0.6 or 2.2.11. (damn SP2)  Problem is that my production machine is still
running Mandrake 7.2 and, of course, there aren't any RPMs for the old
distro. So, I guess my option is to install from source. Do I need to rpm -e
the 2.0.9 before attempting to compile and install 2.2.11 or 3.0.6? My
server is a simple server that doesn't rely on ldap, kerbose, winbind, etc.
Does is make sense to go to 3.0.6 instead of 2.2.11? Any pointers or
gotchas??

    Installing from source, is there anything other than ./configure, make,
make install and rtfm for the new smb.conf entries??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC