[Samba] New user Questions on passwords

Henry Baxter henrybaxter at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 1 00:21:48 GMT 2004

Unfortunately I have no experience with SWAT, so there may be some thing
I'm not aware of, but I would suggest: 1) check that the user name you
are logging in as has an account on the linux box, 2) set their password
again just to be sure, 3) at command line type smbpasswd <username> and
if that doesn't work, you know your smbpasswd file is the missing link,
and to remedy it smbpasswd -a <username>. If you want to check which
people are registered as samba users (not sure if SWAT does this?) go to
/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd, and you can see them all.

Oh, and as far as I know you should always be able to login as 'root'
<root-password>, so I'm surprised you're having this trouble...

If you've checked all that, keep in mind you can only have one open
connecion, so something like 'map to guest = bad user' could be causing
you to log in as a guest, stopping your ability to log in as a real
user. Can't think of much else off-hand, if none of this helps, perhaps
you could add some more information about your setup.

Good luck!

Oh, and you are entering user names in win2k, right?

Henry Baxter