[Samba] Re: Problems with Samba on Mandrake

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Thu Oct 21 03:35:30 GMT 2004

Does your local network have DNS?

Post the output of the "testparm" command. It will tell us much about
your setup and will warn of syntax errors.

> Linux 9.2 installed via FTp from a Mandrake Mirror using inbuilt version of samba that came with it.
>
> the problem i have got is this i cannot get the PC to showup on my windows network it`s configured and if i use the internal IP address i acn access all the shares as normal i have changed the Samba name a few times and as a result somehow have three names on my workgroup display Lulu1, Lulus and Linux none of these are accessable and none of them show any file shares not to mention this i still have another workgroup MDKgroup which is not accessable and i assume has no PC`s in it, my question is howdo i setup the PC to show on my workgroup and give me access to it from
>
> \\lulu\ NOT \\10.0.0.163\ which is the only way i can currently access the machine
>  i`m also a Linux newbie so if you want to know anything techincal you`ll have to let me know what i need todo to get it.
>

> thanks
> Kris
>
> p.s. this is very urgent as my present fileserver is`nt working and i`m trying to get this setup to replace it

Jim C.
| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|