[Samba] Re: Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save properly

newssysman at zbh.uni-hamburg.de newssysman at zbh.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Oct 20 15:13:01 GMT 2004

Hi Felix,

your problem sounds familiar to me. Please check the permission in your
profile directory.
Each active domain user needs a seperate directory with 750 as permission
and the owner has to be
the domain user, e.g. "drwxr-x--- test 	users  test". You also need the acl
support to save the
extended file attributes of Win2k like security permissions. The acl's are
not necessary to solve
your profiles problem.
If you use acls please make sure that your filesystem also support acl's.
That's take me a while :-)

bye Erik

--On Wednesday, October 20, 2004 01:12:33 PM +0100 Mac <mac at nibsc.ac.uk>
wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:21:36 +0200
>> From: Felix Knoblach <felix.knoblach at biomax.com>
>> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>> Subject: [Samba] Re: Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save
>> properly
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm still sitting fighting with this problem here I mentioned a little
>> while ago.
>>

>>> I'm running desperate on a problem with my windows user profiles here,
>>> searched the net and read the docus alot but still no luck.
>>>
>>> I've got an running Samba domain, an existing windows 2000 machine can
>>> log into the domain properly. Furthermore, a test account is made
>>> aswell, and the 2k machine is able to log in with that account. Now, my
>>> problem is: When I try to change windows settings (like switch active
>>> desktop to "on") or delete/rename icons from my desktop, log out and in
>>> again, all changes are undone like they've been not saved on the
>>> server.  But if I create new icons on the desktop and relog, those are
>>> still there.
>>>

> This doesn't sound quite like the problem I had, but it's work checking.
>
> This all starts here:-
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-April/084023.html
>
> and ends here:-
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-September/092379.html
>
> and basically it's to do with a bug in the Nvidia Display Driver
> Service.  You can either disable the service ('startup - Manual') or
> upgrade the drivers to a version with the fix in them.
>
> If this issue doesn't affect you, then I'm sorry.
>

>                                Mac
>           Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
>                         dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
>    Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670
> (anytime) --

Erik Pagel, Systemadministration

ZBH Zentrum fuer Bioinformatik Hamburg
Universitaet Hamburg