[Samba] Re: Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save properly

Felix Knoblach felix.knoblach at biomax.com
Thu Oct 21 09:12:12 GMT 2004

Hi Erik,

let me first thank you for your reply. I at first had an problem with
permissions here that prevented my logon.bat from beeing executed (the
directory it was in missed an X to be readable my the group "users"),
but this still does not fix the profiles problem... I think the
permissions there should be right:

pdc:/samba/profile# ls -la
drwxrwx---   14 root     users        4096 Oct 12 08:57 .
drwxrwx---    5 root     users        4096 May 13 13:33 ..
drwxr-x---   13 felix    users        4096 Oct 20 14:09 felix
pdc:/samba/profile#

pdc:/samba/profile/felix# ls -la
total 272
drwxr-x---   13 felix    users        4096 Oct 20 14:09 .
drwxrwx---   14 root     users        4096 Oct 12 08:57 ..
drwxrwxrwx    4 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Anwendungsdaten
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 20 10:22 Cookies
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 20 14:09 Desktop
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Druckumgebung
drwxrwxrwx    3 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Eigene Dateien
drwxrwxrwx    4 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Favoriten
-rwxrw-rw-    1 felix    users      212992 Oct 20 14:10 NTUSER.DAT
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Netzwerkumgebung
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Recent
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 SendTo
drwxrwxrwx    3 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Startmen??
drwxrwxrwx    2 felix    users        4096 Oct 12 09:15 Vorlagen
-rwxrw-rw-    1 felix    users        1024 Oct 20 14:10 ntuser.dat.LOG
-rw-rw-rw-    1 felix    users         192 Oct 20 14:09 ntuser.ini
pdc:/samba/profile/felix#

If I change the owner of this felix directory to someone else and log on
with my 2k machine, Windows actually displays some error message that
goes like
"Das servergespeicherte Benutzerprofil wurde nicht geladen. Sie werden
mit einem lokalen ..."
So at least he is trying to use the right directory. Yet I have still no
idea why I can't change things like the active desktop (I switch it on,
press ok, reopen the window and it's switched off already again) at all.

ACLs might be the next step, but first I need to get those user profiles
to work somehow. :)

Greetings from Munich

Felix

P.S.: Mac, there's an old ATI card in the 2k machine, so the problem
should'nt be because of an NVIDIA driver. But thanks for your suggestion. :)

Felix Knoblach
Biomax Informatics AG
Lochhamer Str. 11
82152 Martinsried, Germany