[Samba] Re: Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save properly

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 12:12:33 GMT 2004

>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:21:36 +0200
>From: Felix Knoblach <felix.knoblach at biomax.com>
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: [Samba] Re: Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save properly
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm still sitting fighting with this problem here I mentioned a little
>while ago.
>

>> I'm running desperate on a problem with my windows user profiles here,
>> searched the net and read the docus alot but still no luck.
>>
>> I've got an running Samba domain, an existing windows 2000 machine can
>> log into the domain properly. Furthermore, a test account is made
>> aswell, and the 2k machine is able to log in with that account. Now, my
>> problem is: When I try to change windows settings (like switch active
>> desktop to "on") or delete/rename icons from my desktop, log out and in
>> again, all changes are undone like they've been not saved on the server.
>> But if I create new icons on the desktop and relog, those are still there.

This doesn't sound quite like the problem I had, but it's work checking.

This all starts here:-

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-April/084023.html

and ends here:-

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-September/092379.html

and basically it's to do with a bug in the Nvidia Display Driver
Service.  You can either disable the service ('startup - Manual') or
upgrade the drivers to a version with the fix in them.

If this issue doesn't affect you, then I'm sorry.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)