[Samba] Experience on using Samba with XP SP2

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Oct 18 23:13:43 GMT 2004

Hi Walter,
i have the same setup samba 3.07 , cups win xp serv pack 2 german.
I have noticed that something changed in behavior after the upgrade to
win xp serv pack 2 , but non of your described failures are comming
up in my setups for hp laser printers , and canon bjc 2000 as well as my
pdf printer.
I only noticed after upgrade to serv pack 2 that ich have to refresh
the pinter icon in the taskbar now after printing is done to disapear.
also my standart paper size is now switching to letter and not staying
to default dina 4.
But i have not upgraded my cups or/and win drivers ( which is allways
recomended ), i wanted to cotroll this stuff these days but as this bugs
are not really heavy for me , i will wait until there is time.
I dont think this is really a problem with samba.
Are you using cups?
How is your smb.conf, have you checked cups logs,
do you have the latest printers?
What are this Printers ( Manufacter )
Have disabled the xp firewall as well as the webclient services on xp,
what are the event logs talking at the win xp?
Is file sharing running corect with your samba machine?
Is it a stand alone spooler , do you do accounting, are you printing
via a printserver device or direct over lpd/usb
Do you use postscript/ghostscript filters, or direct win drivers?
All this stuff must be tested and controlled to give you the right
answer/help...there is no naturally reason why printing with samba
should fail with win xp as far i know
Best Regards