[Samba] Experience on using Samba with XP SP2

Walter Willmertinger willmertinger at consys.de
Tue Oct 19 09:06:39 GMT 2004

rruegner schrieb:

> Hi Walter,
> i have the same setup samba 3.07 , cups win xp serv pack 2 german.
> I have noticed that something changed in behavior after the upgrade to
> win xp serv pack 2 , but non of your described failures are comming
> up in my setups for hp laser printers , and canon bjc 2000 as well as
> my pdf printer.
> I only noticed after upgrade to serv pack 2 that ich have to refresh
> the pinter icon in the taskbar now after printing is done to disapear.
> also my standart paper size is now switching to letter and not staying
> to default dina 4.
> But i have not upgraded my cups or/and win drivers ( which is allways
> recomended ), i wanted to cotroll this stuff these days but as this
> bugs are not really heavy for me , i will wait until there is time.
> I dont think this is really a problem with samba.
> Are you using cups?

YES, I think it is cups 1.1.20

> How is your smb.conf

very simple: Here the relevant parts:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = CSINTERN
	server string = col Samba Server on RedHat
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 100000
	deadtime = 60
	preferred master = No
	domain master = No
	ldap ssl = no
	printer admin = root, walterw, fritzw, gerhardj
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	create mask = 0750

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = root, walterw
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Share fuer Printer Treiber
	path = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers
	write list = root, walterw, fritzw, gerhardj

[kyocera-ps]
	comment = Kopierdrucker mit Duplexfunktion
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = root, walterw
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = KYOCERA
	use client driver = Yes
	oplocks = No
	share modes = No

**************************************

> , have you checked cups logs,

nothing special!

> do you have the latest printers?

Yes, actual drivers

> What are this Printers ( Manufacter )

Kyocera, HP ...

> Have disabled the xp firewall

Tried with and without firewall

> as well as the webclient services on xp,

tried with enabled and disabled

> what are the event logs talking at the win xp?

only on XP startup I get an error message:
you can see in the appended temp.gif
If you don't see it:
It is a message in sytem part.
Source is MRxSmb
Type is warning
Event number is 3019
Text is: ( if I try to translate): Redirector Service cannot recognize
the type of connection

> Is file sharing running corect with your samba machine?

Yes, no problem, even with MS Access

> Is it a stand alone spooler ,

???

> do you do accounting,

nothing setup

> are you printing
> via a printserver device

yes, network print server, done over CUPS

> or direct over lpd/usb

no!

> Do you use postscript/ghostscript filters, or direct win drivers?

direct win drivers

> All this stuff must be tested and controlled to give you the right
> answer/help...there is no naturally reason why printing with samba
> should fail with win xp as far i know

It does not fail, the startup of the print dialogue is just very slow !!
When removing SP2, the problem has gone!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Dr. Walter Willmertinger

CONSYS Gesellschaft für Softwaretechnologie und Systementwicklung mbH
Dr. Walter Willmertinger
Landsberger Strasse 402   EMail: willmertinger at consys.de
81241 Muenchen            Phone: 089-589 789 0
Germany                     Fax: 089-589 789 99
WWW-Homepage: http://www.consys.de
So finden Sie zu uns: http://mail.map24.com/consys-muenchen