[Samba] W2K can't join 3.0.7 domain

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Mon Oct 18 19:51:46 GMT 2004

I've got an unpatched W2K Pro system and I'm trying to join it to the 3.0.7
domain.  I put in root and root's password for the domain administrator.  The
root user's uid is 0 and root is in Domain Users and works for logging into
other workstations in the domain.

W2K reports "User not found" when I try to join the domain.  However, the
machine account is indeed created in LDAP!  But the machine doesn't think it
has joined.

I saw some references to problems with the 'nobody' account in W2K.  I have a
"Domain Guests" group RID 514 mapped to UNIX GID 514.  The GID exists on the
domain only.  THe mapping shows up in the 'net' command.

Even on that W2K machine, I can browse the domain through Network Places.  So
it is some other user that is not found.  Maybe the machine name isn't
found??  I looked in the LDAP and Samba logs and I see nothing.  Here is my
"Add machine script" line:
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"