[Samba] PDC and windows xp domain joining - root user does not exist

Mark Rutherford mark at freequest.net
Sat Oct 16 07:04:58 GMT 2004

I am trying to set up a samba PDC, and I have followed many FAQ's and
HOWTO's ive found online.
all seem to be just about the same..
So, I made a config up (at the end of this email)
then I did the following:
added users/machines as such:  (just trying to get it to work, will
spice it up later)
useradd test$
passwd -l test$
smbpasswd -a -m test
smbpasswd root
(entered a password twice...)

Now... I went to the windows xp machine, changed some registry settings
(windows xp with service pack 2, BTW.)
then I attempted to join the domain,  entered 'TEST' as the domain, and
a prompt came up asking me for the username and password required to
join the domain..
entered root and the root password and... it tells me: 'the specified
user does not exist'
now, thats damned strange...
so I create another unix user, and then another samba user.. I call this
user 'test' with a password 'test'
so, I try to use that, and it tells me access denied... so I can
understand that..
I try to enter root with no password, and it tells me the username or
password is invalid.. I expected that as well, I guess.
im at a loss. I honestly dont know what to do.
my thing is, at work we are considering switching off of novell in favor
of samba, so I best get to know it
im off to a rocky start. I hope that someone on list has an idea.
thanks in advance :)

here is my smb.conf, mostly copied from examples:
[global]
        workgroup = TEST
        netbios name = SAMBAPDC
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
        domain logons = Yes