[Samba] PDC and windows xp domain joining - root user does not exist

Anton K. anton at ucc.uni-sofia.bg
Sat Oct 16 11:19:44 GMT 2004

Mark Rutherford wrote:

> I am trying to set up a samba PDC, and I have followed many FAQ's and
> HOWTO's ive found online.
> all seem to be just about the same..
> So, I made a config up (at the end of this email)
> then I did the following:
> added users/machines as such:  (just trying to get it to work, will
> spice it up later)
> useradd test$
> passwd -l test$
> smbpasswd -a -m test
> smbpasswd root
> (entered a password twice...)
>
> Now... I went to the windows xp machine, changed some registry
> settings (windows xp with service pack 2, BTW.)
> then I attempted to join the domain,  entered 'TEST' as the domain,
> and a prompt came up asking me for the username and password required
> to join the domain..
> entered root and the root password and... it tells me: 'the specified
> user does not exist'
> now, thats damned strange...
> so I create another unix user, and then another samba user.. I call
> this user 'test' with a password 'test'
> so, I try to use that, and it tells me access denied... so I can
> understand that..
> I try to enter root with no password, and it tells me the username or
> password is invalid.. I expected that as well, I guess.
> im at a loss. I honestly dont know what to do.
> my thing is, at work we are considering switching off of novell in
> favor of samba, so I best get to know it
> im off to a rocky start. I hope that someone on list has an idea.
> thanks in advance :)
>

> here is my smb.conf, mostly copied from examples:
> [global]
>        workgroup = TEST
>        netbios name = SAMBAPDC
>        server string = Samba %v on %L
>        log level = 1
>        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
>        max log size = 1000
>        time server = Yes
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
> SO_RCVBUF=8192
>        logon script = logon.bat
>        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
>        domain logons = Yes
>        os level = 255
>        preferred master = Yes
>        domain master = Yes
>
> [netlogon]
>        path = /home/samba/netlogon
>        browseable = No
>
> [profiles]
>        path = /home/samba/profiles
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0700
>        directory mask = 0700
>        browseable = No
>
> [data]
>        path = /home/samba/data
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0750
>        directory mask = 0750
>        guest ok = Yes

How did you called the machine. It has to be the same like the machine
account of cource, probably 'test' in your case. I saw that you called
the workgroup the same. My win workstations complain if have machine
with same name as domain. Try calling domain test1 and machine test for
instance.
I also noticed that sometimes a win machine has to be restarted before
joining a domain .... I don't know why.....
You can also try make a WinXP SP2 a workgroup machine before joining to
the domain and test  user root and password.....