[Samba] msdfs root in [homes] do not work in XP

F. Latorre flatorre at serbal.pntic.mec.es
Thu Oct 14 23:26:00 GMT 2004

Hi

We setup a samba server (3.02a ) under Debian, acting as PDC.
Clients are w98 S.E. and XP sp1.
Server name is box-p

In smb.conf we configure:
[clouds]
[homes]
msdfs root = yes

We create dfs links in home directory of users : ln -s
msdfs:box-p\\clouds shared
When users log into PDC using an win98 machine they find "shared" in his
home, and can access it.
When users log into PDC using an win XP pro they find "shared" in his
home, but can't access it: the resource is inaccesible or doesn't exists.

We tried to move the dfs to other share, acting as dfs root, and create
mdfsd links there. Then any machine can see "share" and have access to
its contents.

We need the first configuration, because we can create differents links
for any user. (there are many shares, and we don't want show all for any
user)

¿Any idea?

F. Latorre
Segovia