[Samba] smbfs timestamp problem

Nigel Roberts nigel at nobiscuit.com
Tue Oct 5 22:52:00 GMT 2004

Here's a curly one.

I have a share mounted via smbfs on my linux desktop. This share is on
a NetApp filer somewhere, but I've also tried this on a an old linux
server as well, and I have the same problem.

Basically, since day light savings came into effect here (NZDT or
+13), any file I create on the share gets a time creation timestamp
that is way out (approximately 12 hours and 48 minutes behind). This
really confuses applications that rely on these times for normal
operation, such as emacs.

If I create a file on the local file system, it gets the correct date.

Here's an example:

first local:

$ date && touch new && ls -l new
Tue Oct  5 17:18:41 NZDT 2004
-rw-r--r--  1 nigelr nigelr 0 2004-10-05 17:18 new
$

and then the remote samba share:

$ date && touch new && ls -l new
Tue Oct  5 17:17:22 NZDT 2004
-rwxr--r--  1 nigelr nigelr 0 2004-10-05 04:30 new
$

The date on both the servers are correct as they are using the same
ntp time source as my desktop. If I create a file using windows to
access the share, it get's the correct date (and it reads as the
correct date using linux as well).

I'm using version 3.0.7 of the samba tools and I have a linux 2.6.8.1
kernel.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Nigel