[Samba] Slow Directory listing

Thomas Werner werner at esmt.org
Tue Oct 5 14:52:54 GMT 2004

On 05.10.2004 16:36 Uhr, "Russell Packer"
<russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com> wrote:

> I've seen this on native Microsoft Windows fileshares as well. We
> recently moved some clients to Microsoft Windows XP which was when this
> problem started. Curiously, the slow-down only occurs when browsing
> using "My Network Places" - Microsoft Windows Explorer appears
> unaffected.
>
> I have not found real a solution or a cause, other than not to use "My
> Network Places".

it happens with the same explorer window on a mapped network drive:
foldertree left: fast
each view right: slow

strange...

> My spider senses tell me it is some sort of caching issue...

a caching issue of explorer or samba? we use a raid5 storage unit with 8
scsi disc, wich is not the fastest. but it should faster then a single disc
with reading. the filesystem is ext3. is reiserfs a better choise, i guess
not, or?

cheers tom