[Samba] Slow Directory listing

Russell Packer russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com
Tue Oct 5 14:36:58 GMT 2004

samba-bounces+russell.packer=arnoldinteractive.com at lists.samba.org
> Thomas Werner
> Subject: [Samba] Slow Directory listing
>
> hi,
>
> on samba3 a have a directory "foo" with one subfolder "blah". the
> subfolder
> contains a huge subtree with lot of files (11gig). if i click on "foo"
it
> takes 10 or more seconds to get the one folder "blah". but if i use
the
> left
> foldertree of explorer, there are no problems, it's fast. what is the
> explorer looking for? size calculations?
>
> it there a hint or configuration param in the smb.conf to tune up
> explorer?
>
> thx tom

I've seen this on native Microsoft Windows fileshares as well. We
recently moved some clients to Microsoft Windows XP which was when this
problem started. Curiously, the slow-down only occurs when browsing
using "My Network Places" - Microsoft Windows Explorer appears
unaffected.

I have not found real a solution or a cause, other than not to use "My
Network Places".

My spider senses tell me it is some sort of caching issue...