[Samba] Slow Directory listing

Russell Packer russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com
Tue Oct 5 15:03:54 GMT 2004

> On 05.10.2004 16:36 Uhr, "Russell Packer"
> <russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've seen this on native Microsoft Windows fileshares as well. We
> > recently moved some clients to Microsoft Windows XP which was when
this
> > problem started. Curiously, the slow-down only occurs when browsing
> > using "My Network Places" - Microsoft Windows Explorer appears
> > unaffected.
> >
> > I have not found real a solution or a cause, other than not to use
"My
> > Network Places".
>
> it happens with the same explorer window on a mapped network drive:
> foldertree left: fast
> each view right: slow
>
> strange...
> >
> > My spider senses tell me it is some sort of caching issue...
> >

> a caching issue of explorer or samba? we use a raid5 storage unit with
8
> scsi disc, wich is not the fastest. but it should faster then a single
> disc
> with reading. the filesystem is ext3. is reiserfs a better choise, i
guess
> not, or?
>
> cheers tom

Caching on the Windows Explorer side. I seem to recall there is an
option somewhere about "not caching". This is all pure speculation, but
for me it only started to happen with Windows XP. I would go back and
re-test it with a Windows 2000 client and a Linux client, but its not
high on my list of things to do :)

The basic thing is though, this happens in an all-microsoft environment
too, so I'm not certain that anything could be done with Samba to "fix"
this?