[Samba] printer giving Access Denied

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at skylineaero.com
Tue Oct 5 05:04:11 GMT 2004

I have 2 printer queues setup on my samba 3.0.6 NT4-style PDC. About a month
ago, one of them stopped working due to an issue with CUPS. After restarting
CUPS, printing to that share was giving Access Denied. From a windows box, I was
able to add drivers and set default print settings as a domain administrator but
I still couldn't print. I created a new printer share pointing at the same CUPS
printer with the same configuration and the new one worked.

In my smb.conf snippet below, the non-working printer share had the same
settings as 'jetdirect' but with the printer of 'minimike'. 'jetdirect' has
never given me a problem and 'minimike' worked from the moment I created the
share. The current 'minimike' settings are scaled down from what it was when I
first created it. Can anyone think of a reason why this would happen?

[jetdirect]
         printer = jetdirect
         comment = Hallway printer
         printable = yes