[Samba] Repost: ads_connect: No such file or directory

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Mon Oct 4 09:38:14 GMT 2004

Johan de Vries wrote:

>When I do a: net ads join -Uadministrator
>I get:
>[2004/10/01 13:21:07, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(183)
>  ads_connect: No such file or directory
>
>It appears the file: ads_connect is missing
>Where is ads_connect coming from ?
>Do I need more compile options ?
>

>Kerberos 1.2.7-10 is installed (rpm) including the development (rpm)
>OpenLdap 2.0.27-8  is installed (rpm) including the development (rpm)

The way to read this is
from source file utils/net_ads.c
inside function ads_startup, line (183)
the error message returned by the call to the ads_connect function is
"No such file or directory"

Can't say I've seen this error at this place.
Without digging deeper, it's either looking for one of the krb5
configuration files or one of the samba parameters for ldap is pointing
to a non-existant file.

Couple things to check
Run testparm and look for errors in samba config.
Follow the writeup in the The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
    Samba ADS Domain Membership

Earlier versions of MIT kerberos prior to 3 something, [libdefaults] at
a minimum should look like this
[libdefaults]
 default_realm = YOUR.KERBEROS.REALM
 default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
 default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
 permitted_enctypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5

If you get a more current kerberos, add rc4-hmac as the first enctype

Regards, Doug