[Samba] %macros not expanded in ldap attributes?

Andreas Hasenack andreas at conectiva.com.br
Thu Nov 25 11:55:45 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:53:46PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 10:01 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >
> > Andreas wrote:
> > | samba-3.0.8
> > |
> > | Are the % macros not expanded in LDAP attributes? For example,
> > | the following is the only way sambaProfilePath works:
> > | \\SERVER\share\path
> > |
> > | If I substitute sambaProfilePath with, say, \\%L\%U\path, then
> > | it doesn't work anymore, although the same string works with
> > | logon path in smb.conf.
> >
> > Known issue at the momemnt.  Sorry for the inconvienence.
> > Patches welcome (since we haven't been able to get to this bug
> > very quickly).
>
> From rom my point of view (when I was hacking on the code) it was by design,
> but I can understand the %L case.  My feeling at the time was that most
> of the other cases are either best handled by a script setting the
> values into LDAP (%U for example) or just using the smb.conf parameter
> (ie, don't set it in LDAP).
>
> Anyway, that's a bit of the history here.

No problem, it was just unexpected. I agree that, since the attribute goes right
under the user's entry, %U or %u in there would be moot.

The smbldap-tools allow %U substitution, but the catch is that it's
the scripts themselves which perform the substitution, not samba, so it was a bit
confusing at first.