[Samba] Keeping file permissions on file overwrite

Herb Lewis hlewis at panasas.com
Mon Mar 29 16:05:50 GMT 2004

This is not a Samba problem but a problem with the way Windows
applications edit files. Word (and many other apps) will actually
rename the original file, create a new file and save to this and
then delete the original file. They do not make modifications to
the original file. So the behaviour you see is exactly what
windows is telling samba to do.