[Samba] Keeping file permissions on file overwrite

Eddy Ilg eddy at netido.de
Sun Mar 28 21:29:04 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to get a share on which new files will be created with
-rw-r--r-- and permisisons on existing files will be kept.
For example if I have a file with permissions -rwxr-xr-x
then I want the file to keep these permission bits when it is overwritten
from a windows editor.

I have played with different mask/mode settings and the map archive
setting, but when I edit a file from a windows Machichne and save it,
the existing permissions are always overritten with the ones that
a new file would have. If I open a -rwxr-xr-x file and then overwrite it,
it has -rw-r--r-- bits.

Can I tell Samba not to overwrite the permissions?

Thanks

Eddy